Episode 47 – Paid Parents, Open Plan Dilemmas, Tablet Toddlers & The Staff Car Park

In this episode we cited and discussed the following articles:

‘Parents paid £600 ‘to help their children with homework”, Graeme Paton, The Telegraph, 15/11/13, viewed 30/11/15

‘Schools hit a wall with open plan classrooms’, Henrietta Cook, The Age, 23/11/15, viewed 30/11/15

‘Tablets reshaping the way preschoolers develop, play and learn’, Cosima Marriner, The Age, 29/11/15, viewed 30/11/15

2 thoughts on “Episode 47 – Paid Parents, Open Plan Dilemmas, Tablet Toddlers & The Staff Car Park

1. It is interesting that when you were discussing open plan classrooms you disagreed with a few of the negatives and said “you can make it work”. There weren’t a list of positives but rather just the message that skilled teachers are able to create a range of systems and strategies to make the space workable…
    In our early years rooms I love that our rooms can open up and become open plan, which happens often, but we also have the option of creating smaller individual spaces. This was the same at my previous school’s SLC BER building. For me, with my teaching style, I am able to engage in a lot of drama, use music and movement within my teaching, as well as create time for quiet including meditation. I am to do this when I think the group I am working with need it rather than to a bigger schedule. I value the freedom of my traditional classroom (with open plan options) so much. I would greatly miss my singing routines, spontaneous dance parties, picnics under our tables and yoga with my young students because it may distract others or a clash of teaching styles with my collaborative team.

I feel this post can be titled…report writing procrastination!

• Thanks for the comment Kate.
      I still think you can do lots of the ideas you mentioned such as use music, movement and a bit of raucous in the room when it is an open space. Again, it is all about respect and being open with the teachers you work with. The team I’ve worked with have never said ‘no’ to an idea thrown up that involves a bit of noise. Hence why I believe that article missed all those opportunities.
      Cheers.