Episode 34 – Work Drinks, Jihadi Watch Scheme, Reader Trust & Laptop Pyres

In this episode we cited and discussed the following articles and posts:

‘Parent frustration over student-free day after St Bede’s Primary School email error reveals teacher drinks’, Stephen Drill, Herald Sun, 21/5/15, viewed 1/6/15

‘Students, teachers to learn how to spot potential jihadis, under officials’ plan’, Carly Crawford, Sunday Herald Sun, 24/5/15, viewed 1/6/15

‘This Book Is Too Old For You’, Maria Casale, The New York Times, 29/5/15, viewed 31/5/15

3 thoughts on “Episode 34 – Work Drinks, Jihadi Watch Scheme, Reader Trust & Laptop Pyres

1. Can not wait to upgrade from my Lenovo. I was stupid enough earlier this year to put Windows 8 on it in order to trouble shoot etc … EPIC FAILURE! It has slowed down even more, crashes constantly and takes half an hour to load. Learning through failure I guess.

• Hi Aaron,
      Would you believe that my new Acer laptop was faulty when they delivered it. Haven’t even seen it yet although our tech suggested I take it home last Friday as the fault was ‘only in the USB port’. I said no and asked them to let me know when it was fixed. 🙂

2. Hi Rick and Adam,

Thanks for the mention on your podcast!

As a primary school teacher librarian, I walk a fine line with the books I have in our library for senior students. I always try to get the books they recommend, but explain why I can’t include certain books. I remind them that sometimes it is better to read a book when they are a bit older so they can understand and appreciate it more. I encourage some of my more mature readers to borrow from the YA section of their local library if I’m not meeting their reading needs and interests.

I have created a Senior Fiction section where I place books written for an older audience. When selecting books I need to be mindful of themes, language and levels of violence in the books. A book that is very popular may not meet these criteria. I sometimes buy the first book in a series (eg. The Hunger Games) so students can have a ‘taste’ of the book and see what the hype is about, but leave it up to them if they wish to read further. I read the books that students recommend and also check online reviews to see if they’re suitable for our library. I may not always be right, but I do my best. I don’t wish to be ‘The Gatekeeper’ and control what students read and am happy to see them reading beyond our library shelves. A big part of my role is to introduce students to authors and expose them to quality engaging literature. As they get older and more independent in their reading I try to be more of a ‘guide on the side’.

I really enjoyed the ‘Divergent’ series myself, but it’s not in our library. It’s great that you’re reading ‘Divergent’ with your students Rick and they have the opportunity to discuss the book together in a supportive environment. I’m also thrilled you are reading to your class and allowing them to sit back and listen to the language, think about the plot and let their imaginations create their own movie…

Happy reading!

Kim 🙂