Episode 14 – Student Issues, LOTE Revival, Curriculum Strands & Calling In Sick

The following articles & blog posts were discussed & cited in Episode 14:

‘Teachers urged to report concerns on radicalised students’ – Farrah Tomazin, The Age, 12/10/14

‘Government struggling to achieve language revival in schools’ – Farrah Tomazin, The Age, 12/10/14

‘Crowded Curriculum or a Wrong Mindset’ – by Aaron Davis

‘Getting Busy in Sick’ – By Rick Kayler-Thomson

3 thoughts on “Episode 14 – Student Issues, LOTE Revival, Curriculum Strands & Calling In Sick

1. Sorry about the belated reply. I think that that assessment of interdisciplinary standards is always complicated. Although we often refer to them, sadly we don’t always have skill? patience? nous? to realise it. In regards to Secondary, it is made even more challenging by the fact that students can have as many as six teachers. I mused on the idea a while ago of education being like a river http://readingwritingresponding.blogspot.com.au/2013/08/the-river-complicated-metaphor-for.html where students can easily miss this or that when they get to the delta before the dea of life. I have also riffed on the differences between primary and secondary http://readingwritingresponding.blogspot.com.au/2014/03/primary-vs-secondary-great-educational.html. Hope that helps. Enjoy the discussion.

2. Hi Aaron,
    Thanks for the reply. After my coaching experience with TL21C, I’m even more intrigued as to the teaching and learning differences between primary and secondary education. Questions I have are as follows: what do current secondary teachers feel is lacking in a student’s ‘tool kit’ when they begin high school? Aside from the environmental factors and the actual abilities of the kids, what is something the secondary teacher feels is missing? What are primary schools neglecting, if anything?
    Likewise, I’d like to know more about the first few years of secondary education to help form my own questions.

Cheers,
    Rick

• Interesting questions Rick. Timetables and essays are always the big ones. Students NEVER arrive with those integral skills 😉 But on more important matters, I think that the biggest challenge that Year 7’s often face is being organised for a subject approach, rather than have all of their equipment in their tub. I must admit I usually tune out of any cliched, “Why can’t they …” conversations, because firstly I don’t think that they achieve very much and fill that it simply represents a fixed mindset where IF the students arrived with that skillset then the world would be perfect. Reckon Corrie Barclay would provide an interesting perspective on this questions.