Episode 5 – Jargon, Term 3, Authentic Audiences & Adam’s Professional Dilemma

Below are links that we referred to in Episode 5 and a screen shot of the ‘Rhythms’ idea from the draft PDP document:

‘I Don’t Understand My Children’s Reports’ – By Paul Chai, Daily Life

‘How To Add A Google Translate Widget To Your Blog’The Edublogger

Screenshot 2014-07-17 19.16.13

(Click on the image to enlarge)

5 thoughts on “Episode 5 – Jargon, Term 3, Authentic Audiences & Adam’s Professional Dilemma

1. Another great episode guys. Just spruiking another of Jason Borton’s posts about what is and is not important in schools, thought it might be relevant: http://jbortonrps.edublogs.org/2014/01/10/sticking-to-the-main-thing-a-positive-leadership-reflection/
    Also, I think that you are missing the point of blogs if you are trying to connect students with their ‘ideal reader’. How do you know exactly who this reader is. I think that the point of publishing to the web is about putting it out there. After that we simply need to find a way to amplify these posts. Not that I have actually done it personally, but isn’t there things like Quadblogging or simply finding other schools with students doing the same thing. Start your own community. I know that Celia Coffa and Pernille Ripp have posted a bit about this topic. Also, Jenny Ashby and Lois Smethurst at RU Connected discussed all things blogging a few episodes back http://ruconnected.global2.vic.edu.au/2014/02/22/ruconnected-70-lets-get-started/ Also here are the links to Lois’ school blogs: http://www.berwicklodgeps.vic.edu.au/our-blogs-quick-links-2014
    Hope that adds a bit of fuel to the fire of learning.

• Hi Aaron,
      Thanks for another great comment and share. I intend to sift through those links over the coming days.
      I disagree (in a friendly way!) that we’ve missed the point of blogging. What I do think is that, perhaps, I failed to explain my point properly in the podcast. What my main question and issue is how to assist students in developing a genuine purpose for writing at school. I think we’d all agree that it can be a challenge to motivate some students to want to write. I’ve always thought that if they have a genuine purpose, therefore some form of audience for their writing (even if it is one person) then they will be more inclined to really invest in the task.
      I’ve been blogging in and out of the classroom for years. John Pearce and I ran a blogging program at my old school some years back that revolved around passion projects. The writing and comments that flowed back and forth for some students was really powerful. These projects were, to me, a fine example of getting the students’ writing out there as you said, and allowing for sharing with a wider community.
      Great food for thought.
      Cheers,
      Rick

• I see what you are saying Rick. Agree, I missed the point. I have wondered quite a bit about authentic audiences as well. This is what I wrote in my #EduDream post:
        I am always left wondering when teachers run around after student work, ringing home to complain, chastising students for falling behind, who is this all for? Here I am reminded of Alan November’s story about the student who spent hours writing stories for Fan Fiction, yet failed to get her homework done. The explanation that the student provided was that she makes the choice to publish for the world over publishing for her teacher. Instead of completing tasks for themselves or worse, for teachers, students need the opportunities to publish for authentic audiences. For example, after consulting with a teacher from another state +Cameron Paterson got his Year 9 History class to create picture books around the topic of World War 1 for a kindergarten. If not publishing for a purpose, at least publishing for a wider audience as +Bec Spink has done with the eBooks created by her Prep classes or through a classroom blog as +Celia Coffa has discussed. For what is the point of having a fast car if there is nowhere to actually drive it?
        http://readingwritingresponding.blogspot.com/2014/06/this-is-my-edudream-what-is-yours.html
        I completely agree, this is an important issue. Interesting, Jenny and Lois at RU Connected discussed this matter in their last podcast too http://ruconnected.global2.vic.edu.au/2014/07/13/ruconnected-74-post-slide2learn-2014/

• Fantastic thoughts. Your #EduDream post makes much sense and relates exactly to what we were talking about. How many times do students complete tasks (such as homework) purely for ‘handing in’ purposes? Hmmm…

2. I don’t think I can add to much more to this discussion as there have been some terrific points raised, but I want to say that I always appreciate your input Aaron. One of the main reasons Rick and I began this podcast was to try and encourage reflection and discussion about our profession, but to also be challenged by others to continue to improve our overall practice as well, and each week you provide us with further discussion points and challenges. It’s terrific and just what we are after. We hope we can continue to challenge others as well in future podcasts!
    Cheers,

Adam.