4 thoughts on “Episode 1 – Hellos, History, TL21C, Homework & Ear buds

1. Isn’t the ‘home learning’ that you two are talking about ‘flipping the classroom’. Sam Irwin actually presented to our network last year about teachers creating ‘videos’ for students to watch at home instead of sitting through instructions in class. In regards to homework, I really liked Jason Borton’s piece from a few months ago that really touched me too (http://jbortonrps.edublogs.org/2014/02/15/why-homework-is-so-problematic-in-primary-schools/). Sadly in Secondary homework seems to be a rite of passage, the more you get, the better the learning experience.

2. Thanks for the comment Aaron.
    I think we do mean the ‘flipped classroom’ to some degree. I hear what Sam Irwin was talking about too. Indeed, I’ve given much thought to the fact of students taking in information at home, becoming familiar with a concept, doing a tiny bit of immersion before they attend class the next day. But now I throw back to Jason Borton’s post that you mentioned in the comment. What about equity? Lots of kids have access at home but not all. And we still have loads of parents that either don’t care about the continuation of homework each week or want traditional sheets each week.
    At my school we send home sheets for maths frequently at this stage. This was a regular practice when I started there last year. I feel a little guilty about this as whilst at school we strive to not have a curriculum that is reliant on sheets and piles of photocopying.
    Like Jason stated, we are the professionals and should be setting the standard.
    One aspect of Jason’s article I wanted to comment on was the statement that “The last thing kids want to do when they get home from a long day at school is sit down for another dose of school and do homework.” My argument would be that if the school’s policy is to send homework home each week, then let’s make it a type of learning that is engaging and motivating for the students. If we could reach that ideal, then we wouldn’t need to even consider kids being stressed about getting ‘another dose of school’ at home because school is just part of their learning for life. And that is what we were trying to get at it in the discussion during Episode 1.
    Thanks again mate!

3. I agree homework needs to be meaningful and connected to school learning. We had a student tell us that because it was raining on Saturday and he didn’t play football until Sunday, he sat and almost completed a World Cup project we were doing in class. He didn’t see it as a chore but rather he chose to do it. This shows if we set the right task most students enjoy doing it! However, I do think we need to be mindful of the time students would have to spend on tasks, after all they are still kids!!

4. Thanks for taking the time to comment Ab!
    Remember when we used to have a homework planner for the entire term? Of course you do. 🙂
    I was thinking about that during this discussion a few weeks back and remembered how important it was that the entire staff team was on board with what was going home each week. However, over the past couple of years I’ve also discovered that there is power in letting students suggest or take their home learning in a direction that is powerful and relevant to them.
    I have 3 students this year working on an ILP for writing. They have to complete and turn in a writing assignment via Edmodo each week. But they choose the type of stimulus and they get to choose how they approach the task. The only guideline from me is that they think outside the box as much as they can and build on the tips I give them each week in terms of writing style and structure.
    What do you think?

Thanks again.
    Rick